East End Health Room Information

We are happy to have such a dedicated nurse on our faculty.  Mrs. Janice Blanton works very hard to provide our students with the best of care.

Any student who becomes ill at school should request a pass from a teacher before reporting to the school nurse.  If an extreme emergency exists, however, the student should report directly to the nurse.  The nurse will contact a parent if the student needs to leave school.  If parents are unavailable and the illness or injury is such that immediate care is required, the school will arrange for the student to be taken to the doctor or to a hospital for treatment.  This action will not obligate the personnel of the school to assume financial responsibility for treatment.  Optional student accident insurance is made available at the beginning of each year. 

Medication at School

Aspirin and other oral medication CANNOT, by state law, be given to students without parent permission.  The principal or his/her designee(s) may administer prescription medication only by parental request.

If a student is required to take prescription medication during school hours, the student's physician must complete the School District of Pickens County Request for Medication Administration and shall include the following information: (1) student's full name, 

(2) name of medication, (3) times to be administered, (4) dosage, (5) possible side effects (if significant), and (6) termination date for administering the medication.  The School District of Pickens County Request for Medication Administration is available on the district Web site or from the school nurse.

Medications are not supplied by the school or by the school nurse.  All medication must be sent to the school in its original container.  Students are not to keep ANY medication--including aspirin, vitamins, or any other over-the-counter medicines--with them during the school day unless the student has an approved Permission of Medication--Self-Administration Outside of School Hours on School Grounds or at School Activities.

Students who must keep an inhaler or any other medication on their person for emergency purposes must receive written permission from an administrator.  If a parent sends medication to school along with written instruction but not a completed School District of Pickens County Request for Medication Administration, designated school personnel may administer the medicine as directed that day.  A medication permit must be completed by the parent for succeeding days when medicine is to be administered.  Both forms are available at the school and on the district Web site.

Parents should pick up all medications by the end of the school year.  Any medications that are not picked up by the last day for students will be destroyed.